Saturday 11 May 2013

Electronic Dictionary





The technology growth and the internet growth are very fast in Malaysia. The technology growth has assisted me a lot in enhanced my writing skill, my knowledge and the technology has assisted me in pursuing my master. 

I still remember when I pursued my diploma in year 1987 to 1990, I did not own any computer and carried a bulky dictionary to the class..Normally I have to go University computer lab to do my assignment and I used typewriter to do my assignment .I remember when I wanted to do my ETR assignment, I did in group assignment and we have to use typewriter to type and we carried a bulky dictionary everywhere we go because to get the accurate meaning of the word that we used in our assignment. Using dictionary has improved my learning and writing ability and also motivated myself as a student to read more materials according to my interest. The dictionary has become a tool to assist me as a student in understanding as well as enlightening the skill of reading. My reading would be interesting if I can understand the material, and this is when the dictionary plays its role as a medium to facilitate me in reading. Hence, this overcomes the difficulties in my understanding the reading material. 

A Dictionary plays an important role in learning a language as a dictionary can serve a lot of purposes especially in providing the definition of words. The dictionary consists of the various parts of speech and it also acts as a reference for the purpose of an excellent and accurate language. 

The physical form of the dictionary is big and thick and this has required more time to search for the definition of a word .Thus the development of a language and technology has developed the traditional book to the use of technology which created a computerized dictionary or electronic dictionary. The development has been going on for several eras from traditional book to the use of technology such as computerized dictionary or electronic dictionary. 

Apparently, with the development of science and technology, computer is seen as one of the effective teaching and learning aid. With the existence of this technology, an electronic dictionary would certainly give ease to the teaching and learning process as well as benefiting both teachers and students. This dictionary is created in a database with a colorful texts and attractive interface loaded with graphic and sound in which hopefully will increase the interest of the user to use the dictionary, thus improving their reading skill. 

Due to rapid development in technology, the electronic dictionary is no longer a novelty to world and the tremendous improvement in technology has being overwhelming dictionary users with a variety of electronic dictionaries. The electronic dictionaries become more widely used as electronic dictionary normally has a friendly user features and with attractive display and colors. It is also has a combination of audio and visual. The audio and visual can help the users to pronounce the word accurately and encourage them to use the dictionary thus developing a broad command of vocabulary. Some of the electronic dictionary has apps for bilingual dictionaries for numerous language pairs. 

The electronic dictionary has two types: 
· An online electronic dictionary 
· Offline dictionary 


What is online Dictionary?



The online dictionary is an internet dictionary which provided by the websites and can be access directly from the internet. Some of the websites offers a free access and some of the websites imposes annual fees to access the dictionary. The advantage of using this type of dictionary is that it can be access at any place as long as there is an internet connection .Now it become popular as it can be download to the Smartphone and no longer to carry big and thick dictionary to anywhere. The use of internet dictionary is helping the users to search the definition of a word faster regardless of place and time. There a lot of online dictionary such as Collins Online Dictionary, Macmillan English Dictionary, Merriam -Webster Learner Dictionary and etc. 

Some online dictionaries are regularly updated, keeping abreast of language change. Many have additional content, such as blogs and new additional words.



What is offline Dictionary?

The offline dictionary is in the form of compact disc and can be uploaded to computer. The offline dictionary can be used with a computer or data assistant (PDA) and the user does not need to have the internet connection to access to dictionary and free from internet interruption. 

In the long run it is expect that the electronic dictionary will overshadow the paper dictionary in the same way as the computer has superseded the typewriter.


No comments:

Post a Comment